Friday, January 09, 2009

New Years Eve . . .

Even after spending a great time at Grandpa and Topsy's place we craved even more sunshine and warmth. Thankfully, Rob's Aunt Bonnie lives in Whittier, CA, and since she'd been telling us to come visit, we were too close to not come . . . it was only an extra 109 miles! :)

New Years Eve morning we packed up and hopped back on I-15 south. It was an easy two hour drive to Bonnie's house, and we were very pleased to see even more sunshine and palm trees. After a quick lunch, Rob was antsy to see the ocean. Although he lived in Barstow as a kid, he'd never been to the Pacific in California! After a short drive up the PCH to Malibu, and driving all over Santa Monica to find an ATM, we found ourselves at Santa Monica Beach.


Well, there he is. No shoes, jeans rolled up to his knees, and hoodie on. Rob and the Ocean.


Doesn't he just look so happy??


You can't go to the beach without writing in the sand . . . and this was the first time I was able to write about me and my man. It made me so happy.


This is the second of the three pictures taken of me on the trip. I know, I know, it's glamorous, right? I've always thought I have adorable feet.


As we were walking on the beach, we found a coconut, which Rob promptly stood on and took on the waves. It was really quite funny. Later that night while we were walking on the pier, we saw a kid walking around with a coconut. I wonder if it was the same one. :)


And here's picture number three. There were a bunch of carnations on the beach, so Rob picked one up and gave it to me. How thoughtful, eh?


Just one more . . .


Since it was late in the afternoon when we got to the beach, we just decided to walk up and down the shore, and on our way back, I took this shot of the Santa Monica pier. It was beautiful. I wish I had my real camera (not just my camera phone) with me so that I sould have gotten a better shot. Oh well. I think this looks great with all the lights and the reflection off the wet beach. It was such a great night!

Once we got back to the pier, we decided to splurge and go on the roller coaster. It was pretty fun, and the fact that we were in the front coaster car made it even better.

After our fun at the beach, we went back to Bonnie's, and "crashed" her New Years Eve party. Ok, we didn't really crash it. There were all kinds of goodies to eat, and fun to join in on. We stayed up for the New Year, and then promptly tried to go to bed. There was an exceptionally loud party at one of Bonnie's neighbors, but hey, it was New Years afterall.

8 comments:

April said...

I am jealous you were in Cali for NYE! with only a light jacket and flip flops :) it was probably like 10 degrees here in Albany woot!

April said...

oh and I heart writing in the sand too!

Ruth said...

Santa Monica Pier! At the end of Santa Monica Boulevard..which goes past the front of the Los Angeles Temple...ah yes, that's the beach we'd always visit when I was growing up in Calif..
Looks like you had a bunch of fun!
lovelove

Sarah said...

Man I'm so Jealous! You make me miss the days before kids soooo bad. I wish I could just pick up and go on a traveling adventure. It sounds like the two of you had a blast and are so in love. I hope that you are adjusting to being back in town.

Britt Wright said...

Awesome New Years! And the beach, how fun!! I'm glad you got to go walking on the beach with your hunny...it is always romantic.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun!!

Jessi said...

I'm glad you guys got a chance to get away, you deserved it. And I really love the picture of you with the flower in your hair. You're so cute.

Sharla said...

California! Ugh, I'm jealous. So much fun!