Sunday, February 08, 2009

Details, then

Now that I'm back in Iceburg, uh, I mean, Rexburg, I figure I should answer a few questions, and show off some on my photography. :)

First off, at the LA airport, I found this sight humorous. In multiple places both before and behind security, there are "telephone" areas, yet, the telephones have been taken out. I guess cell phones really did make pay phones obsolete. Who knew?

Next, this is the scene that I awoke to Wednesday morning. Absolutely clear skies, palm trees, and whats that . . .

If you look behind the sign, that is the ocean. I was in heaven.

Wednesday evening we went to The Getty Center. I took most of the pictures there with my film camera, in black and white, but here are a few of my favorites taken with the digital.

This fountain greeted us as we got off the tram.

Here is a delightful Bird of Paradise. This is something that I'm going to love about living in California, there are Bird of Paradise all over the place.

This sculpture I love. I think it's beautiful. I only wish I had taken a picture of it's name too. Anyone know the name?

This wall I found enchanting. The light, the texture, the colors . . . I hope my shots in black and white turn out.

In nature, there aren't many green flowers. This one I found irresistible though, because of the little bug on it. Cute!

And between The Getty Center and Huntington Gardens where we visited on Thursday, I've decided I could definitely get into xeriscaping--now I just need to live somewhere HOT! Look at these beautiful succulent blooms!


And now, for details. I plan on starting my internship in late April. I'll be moving down to the LA area and living with Rob's Aunt Bonnie and Rob will stay here in Rexburg and attend school. 400 internship hours are required for my program, so that means if I can work a full 40 hours a week, I'll be down there for at least ten weeks. Since we only made verbal arrangements on Wednesday, I can't tell you exactly what I'll do doing with Tic Tock, but as a general idea, I'll be learning floral design from one of the absolute best in the business. He is the cream of the crop. I'm honored that he agreed to talk to us, let alone let me come work in his shop! It still brings tears to my eyes thinking that I'm so blessed!

Because Bonnie lives about 25 miles from where I'll be interning, and in traffic that means I could spent at least an hour and a half commuting, I'm pleased to announce that I can easily take public transportation to and from instead. The train station is about three miles from Bonnie's, then I'll make a transfer to the metro at LA'a Union Station, and I'll get off at the Hollywood/Huntington station--with about a ten minute walk to Tic Tock. I figure I can either drive/ride my bike to the train station--then take my bike with me (which is allowed)--and it will take about the same amount of time as commuting via car, but I'll be able to sleep/read/put on my makeup, etc. on the train. Nice. I'm just a little more than excited, can you tell?

PS--I got "published" yesterday. Check this website to read my essay. Thanks to all those that helped me with it.

PPS--Rob is teaching me to play the didgeridoo. I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm learning.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Congratulations! Everything sounds awsome. I am especially jelous of the weather, that will be so nice, especially after Rexburg!

Britt Wright said...

Wow-e Kristin! It sounds like the Lord is watching out for you. I am so happy for you and am TOTALLY EXCITED for you!!!! Oh, and let me know how the didgeridoo is going. Jac's bro: Tyler, can play it and it is a cool instrument!

LeMira said...

Yea for you Kristin! I'm so excited for you and all that you've accomplished. That's wonderful. Way to go on getting published, too.

Lisa said...

Good for you! I'm intrigued by your riding the subway in LA. I hear hardly anyone rides it, so you could totally put your feet up and sleep or do your toenails.

I wouldn't want to be your neighbor, though, what with the digeridoo practicing. But it probably isn't as bad as living next to Kit's parents as they learn to play the bagpipe (seriously)!

Sarah said...

I'm totally jealous. Living in so cal for 10 weeks. I know it will suck without Rob but it would be so nice just to something like that with out the responsibility of a family. That's awesome that you are doing this before the kids come. Your photos look awesome too.

Ruth said...

How lucky to have a place to live already in Southern Cal! And the weather will be nice for biking, most of the time. I bet Bonnie "drags" you off to Disneyland or California Adventure...
Wonderful opportunities for you!
Congratulations! And Good Luck to Robert wait a minute, if you are going to be gone for ten weeks, can Alan live with Robert during Spring semester?!?!? Alan comes home the 24 of Feb. and starts BYU-I April 20. Hmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Thats wonderful! Your pics are awesome too!

Susie Peterson said...

LOL that picture of the phone booths! Completely classic! Now what would be funnier is if people would go talk on their cell phones in those booths. That would be a knee slapper to me!