Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weightlifting

As readers of my blog you might have been able to tell that I have recently taken up weightlifting. I started in June and have been doing a specific routine, Starting Strength the last month or so. Looking back at my past experiences with weight rooms I can remember myself walking into the Snow College weight room seven years ago, and barely being able to bench press the bar, weighing in at 45 pounds.

The last few months of working with the weights have paid off though. In June I maxed out the bench press at 105; meaning that I couldn't do one rep at my weight higher than 105.

So to make sure I continue progressing and getting my butt to the gym I signed up for a weightlifting class this semester. Today we were maxing out our bench press and squat weights so that [I'm assuming] the teacher will be able to pair us up with partners who can lift about the same amount of weight.

I maxed out my bench press today at 125, and my squat at 205. I must say that I am indeed very pleased with these numbers. I've gone up 20 pounds in the bench, and although I've never maxed my squat before, as a girl 205 has got to mean something pretty good, right? I listened in to the other six girls report their numbers, and I was way above any of the rest of them, even ones that had taken the class before. So, strength wise I'm feeling great today. Heath wise however, I have a cold. :(

6 comments:

Robert said...

It sucks that you have a cold. Keep going! Strong is sexy. :)

Ruth said...

Kristin, I never thought that you would turn out to be a weightlifter. Congratulations to your very high numbers! Love you!

Jessi said...

Do you think you could have lifted more if you didn't have a cold? Are you guys feeling better now? I hope so...colds are no fun.

Kristin said...

Well see, I brought it on myself. I was asked to talk in Church last Tuesday, and I jokingly told the member of the Bishopric that I felt I was coming down with something . . . badda boom badda bing . . . I wake up Wednesday morning with a cold that won't give up.

It's still lingering. Sore throat off and on, raspy smoker-like coughing, and green flem in the morning. It's terrible.

Angi Gerrie said...

Thanks for the link! I will definitely check it out.

Britt Wright said...

Awesome Kristin! And by the way, you're looking GREAT!