Wednesday, September 03, 2008

And The Verdict?

For those of you who contributed on the Ideas? blog a few days ago, I thank you. I would have to agree with Lisa in that it was probably a Buttercup squash. According to a site that I found buttercup squash can be subsititued for sweet potatoes in many recipes, which got me thinking . . . I just found a recipe for sweet potato curry that I'd been wanting to try . . . I could use the squash in it since it's unlikely Rob will EVER eat any of it without it being involved in something delicious like a curry . . . So I bought some orange juice and broke in the crock pot we were given for our wedding--almost 17 months ago. :) This is what it looked like inside:

Looks perfectly respectable as a squash goes, right?

Here she is hollowed out. Still perfectly acceptable.

I decided to peel it with my potato-peeler instead of trying to shave the skin off with my santoku knife because the skin was quite tender. I was a bit surprised at how "squashy" it smelled. I was still a bit hesitant to try out a new recipe on it, so I sliced off a bit and nuked it for a few minutes. It tasted okay so I was ready to give it a shot.

The outcome was DELICIOUS! I did add in the one sweet potato we had in the house so I could see what that would be like, and it turned out great. Next time I make it I'll use only sweet potatoes, as they were sweeter than the squash; but what is the likelyhood I'll ever come upon a buttercup squash again, really?

So thanks for the votes people! I'm glad it wasn't a watermelon that ate another watermelon or anything having to do with a cucumber. Also, you should try out the recipe! I'm a curry LOVER and like it HOT, but this was really mild. Next time I'll be using more curry for sure!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

You need to post the recipe. I love curry too!!

Kristin said...

Sarah, you can find the recipe by clicking the "sweet potato curry" link. :)

Ruth said...

So Robert doesn't like squash? Does he like sweet potatoes? Did he like this curry dish? I don't know much about curry - I thought it was just sauce with curry in it that went over other stuff.

Anonymous said...

MMM Looks yummy! Greg is a whimp, he can't even handle mild :o)

Ruth said...

At Enrichment this week we had a risotto with Proscietto (Italian bacon) and buttercup squash in it, and saffron and fresh oregano and salt and pepper...it was delicious!

Jessi said...

Looks yummy! Sean and I were once given an 'Dinner Pumpkin'. It was another unfamiliar veggie. The giver of the pumpkin told us you scoop out the goo and then fill it will other veggies, meats and juices and then bake it in the oven. It too was SO delicious. So many fun foods out there, so little time...and energy...and money:)