Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oh, and hey, I got a job!

It's true! After six months of being unemployed (my longest break from a job since I was 13), I got a job this last week! Before I tell you what it is, let me tell you how it happened . . .

First off, I've been trying to get a job in the hydroponics greenhouse for about four months. Bro. Willis, a teacher of mine last semester, is in charge of the greenhouse, and he's been looking for someone since June, but because he's in the Agriculture dept on campus, he's been searching for an Ag student. No one has jumped on the opportunity yet, and I've been asking him about hiring me every couple of weeks because I am actually interested--but the Ag Dept can't hire me because I'm a Horticulture major. Bro. Willis keeps telling me to change my major--which is NOT going to happen, obviously.

So, Wednesday morning I started my second block class, Interiorscaping, and Bro. Willis' TA, Scott (who is also a Horticulture major--go figure?), is in the class. I again, asked if they were ready to hire me yet, and Scott mentioned that they might just be about ready to give in . . . cool!

So later that afternoon, I was on my way to the computer lab, when I ran into my teacher of the Interiorscaping class, Sis. Bass. She apparently had overheard my conversation with Scott that morning, and asked if I was specifically interested in working in the hydroponics greenhouse, or having a job in general. Well, I replied, of course the hydroponics greenhouse would be cool--but I'm open for suggestions . . . Why?

"Well, the Horticulture department has position we are looking to fill, and we want you," she said. Um, excuse me? What?

Turns out that Sis. Bass was asked to suggest a few students to fill a PR position for the Horticulture dept. Apparently, she knew who she wanted immediately, she just needed to get me to say yes. :)

OF COURSE I SAID YES! So, this is definitely the easiest time I've ever had getting a job! I asked if I needed to interview, or turn in a resume--turns out, nope, I sure didn't! My personal credentials were good enough for this one. ALRIGHT!!!!

So, I'm in charge of PR for the Horticulture dept! I'll be making up posters and advertisements for the bulletin boards around campus, help in updating the departments websites, and maintaining a department blog, which can be found at: www.byuihorticulture.blogspot.com. Cool huh! I'm totally psyched!

10 comments:

Amber said...

Sounds like they hooked you up! Awesome when great things fall into your lap. They must think pretty highly of you around there :)

Ruth said...

Impressive!! This teacher picked you out and said, "Take this job!" You'll be busy doing stuff you like!

Britt Wright said...

Awesome! Sounds like the perfect job. I'm excited to see what you do with their blog. Yeah!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to have that job. Wow. Congratulations! No more donating plasma I hope.

Ali said...

Kristin,
That's really is awesome. What a great blessing... getting a job you'll enjoy. Knowing you, I know you'll do a great job and have a lot of fun. congratulations.

Ali

Jessica said...

Congrats on the job! Hey I just looked at the cake wrecks site you mentioned to me. Hilarious! Thanks!

Sharla said...

Woo hoo! That's awesome! Way to go. Gotta love when things work out like that.

le35 said...

I'm so excited for your new job! It's great to find an old friends' blog and the first thing on it is excellent news! Yay for you Kristin. I'm sure that with you doing it, it will be fun. :)

le35 said...

From Britt's blog! I was so excited. I found Ali and Jess too! It was a treasure day for me!

I need to add all of you to my blog rolls.

Josh and Emily Mason said...

That is AWESOME, Kristin!! I'm so glad that you found a great job, that's right up your ally!! You're going to do a fabulous job-- you're so creative. Congrats!!