Friday, May 30, 2008

Nitrogen

In my soils lab this week we were taught that nitrogen levels in drinking water is monitored to prevent the levels being too high. The EPA sets a limit of anything over 10 parts per million being considered hazardous for human consumption, and can cause methemoglobinemia—“blue-baby” syndrome.

To see what the levels of nitrogen in water are here on campus each student obtained a water sample from six different water sources in and around the Benson building. We then measured 10 mls into two clean bottles; into one we kept as a control sample, and to the second we added a reagent powder to react and show the nitrogen in the water. We then used a spectrophotometer to measure the nitrogen levels in the sample. This is what we found:


So, apparently if you need a quick drink and are only concerned with nitrogen levels, as long as you don’t filter the water through a plant you’ll be okay. Please remember however, this was only testing the levels of nitrogen, not bacteria, E. Coli, or any other nastys that could be lurking in the toilet. Yuck!

4 comments:

Britt Wright said...

I'm glad you are enjoying school. You learn so much, thanks for sharing!

Marrian said...

WOW! I'm impressed with all this stuff you're learning.

So, just in case you didn't have enough to do, I'm tagging you :). Go to my blog to see the rules.

Amber said...

OK this is good. Now I don't feel so bad when Claire drinks toilet water :) But about that E. Coli thing....

Jessi said...

This is good info Kristin. I've only ever been one to care about nitrogen levels in my water...not any of that other stuff. So, now I know where I can go. Thanks a million:)